Aging is a natural part of life; however, there are many things that you can do to slow down the aging process, to keep you looking and feeling young and healthy. If you are ready to obtain an ageless look naturally and improve your overall health and well-being, check out these ten tips.
1. Avoid processed foods: Processed foods like deli meats, bacon, hot dogs, and sausage contain preservatives and sulfites that can cause inflammation in the body and skin, which can accelerate aging. Additionally, these items tend to have a high sodium content which increases your risk of cardiovascular and other inflammatory diseases.
2. Avoid tobacco products: Tobacco causes premature aging and is considered the most preventable cause of death in America. When you use tobacco products, you are at an increased risk of developing COPD, cardiovascular disease, stroke and cancer. If you smoke or use any other tobacco product, quit helping protect your skin and health.
3. Calcium: Calcium is used by the body to promote strong bones and increase the frequency of cell turnover. A calcium supplement decreases the appearance of aging by preventing the bones in your face from deteriorating and improving the overall health of your skin. Additionally, it helps to increase the generation of sebum in the skin. Sebum is the natural oil that helps skin to maintain its healthy glow and appearance.
4. Get enough sleep: When you sleep, your body makes repairs to your organs and skin. It is recommended that you get at least 8 to 9 hours sleep to ensure your body gets all the benefits that sleep offers. While you sleep, you go through a sleep stage called REM or Rapid Eye Movement. During this stage, your body and mind rest and recover, preparing it for the next day.
5. Massage: Massage does more than just feel good. It decreases the stress response by decreasing cortisol levels and blood pressure in the body. Additionally, massage increases the production of dopamine, oxytocin and other endorphins to reduce anxiety and stress. Finally, it helps to stimulate delta brainwaves, which encourages deep sleep. Massage also improves circulation and helps the lymphatic system to eliminate waste from the body.
6. Omega 3 fatty acids: Omega 3 fatty acids are found in a number of healthy fats, including avocados, fatty fish, and walnuts. They help the body to absorb the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs to maintain health. Additionally, omega 3 fatty acids reduce systemic inflammation, which can cause wrinkles and chronic health conditions, including cardiovascular disease, ulcerative colitis, and respiratory illnesses.
7. Probiotics: Probiotic supplements work in several different ways to protect against aging. First, probiotics help to decrease the bad bacteria found on the skin that causes acne, wrinkles, and fine lines. Additionally, they help to detoxify the body and remove free radicals that can cause disease and aging. Finally, probiotics increase immunity to help protect against illness and disease.
8. Proper hydration: Having dry skin increases the signs of aging. Maintaining proper hydration by drinking at least a half of an ounce of fluid for every pound that you weigh can help reduce the effects and signs of aging on the body, including the skin. For best results, ensure most of the fluids that you consume are either water or natural fruit juices. Caffeine and alcohol can dehydrate your body.
9. Regular exercise: Research has shown that regular exercise can decrease a person’s biological age by almost ten years. Regular physical activity prevents the length of the telomere from decreasing. The telomeres are found at the end of the chromosomes in a cell. As a cell divides, the telomere becomes shorter and eventually can no longer properly protect the chromosomes, resulting in cellular death and aging. Exercise prevents this from occurring.
10. Stress relief: Stress affects you both internally and externally. First, it causes you to worry, which can create wrinkles. Additionally, when you are stressed, you do not rest properly, resulting in insomnia. Practicing stress relief techniques like journaling, acupuncture, meditation, and yoga can help to reduce the effects of aging on the body.
Say no to aging by following a healthy lifestyle that includes stress reduction techniques, regular exercise, a healthy diet and a good night’s sleep. These changes along with calcium, omega 3 fatty acid and probiotic supplementation will provide the body with the nutrients it needs to maintain healthy glowing skin.