Nail Polish Removers, Bad or Good For Health?

0 points


While people started to colour their nails since far back as 3000 BC, by using the pigment of plants and flowers, the polish itself and polish removers were an offshoot of the invention of automotive paint in the 1920s. In today’s world removers are made up mainly of a solvent needed to dissolve the resins in polish like acetone, methyl acetate. These chemicals have many other uses, you can find them in paint, dry-erase markers, glue and nail polish. All this three are permitted in Canada, The USA and the European Union. And the main news is that all three acetone is used most frequently in polish removers.


About 20 years ago, scientists formulated new solvents and started marketing removers labelled non-acetone so some people started to think that acetone was toxic. But the reality is different. Acetone is present in the human body and has been mass produced by scientists for nearly 150 years. Truly, there is no scientific basis to prove acetone is more dangerous than the alternative solvents. Even according to the world’s largest manufacturers of nail art supplies, acetone is one of the safest solvents other than water.


Other traditional solvents raise different concerns. For an example, methyl acetate is more dangerous that acetone if it is accidentally ingested, so manufacturers who use methyl acetate, make the nail polish remover bitter tasting. Now if talk about methyl ethyl ketone, it works very slowly on nail polish, so you will have to stay with its very strong smell for longer. Also, just like other volatile organic compounds do, it distributes to smog formation. The state of California has limited the volume of this solvent in consumer products for this cause.


All regular removers are flammable, so you should keep them away from heat as well as, they may have a drying effect. So maximum nail polish removers contain moisturising ingredients like vitamin E, lavender or tea tree oil. Applying cuticle cream or oil after completely removing the polish can help very dry nails. To remove nail polish with a good efficiency, moisten a cotton pad with remover as well as hold the pad down on the nail for a second so the solution can soak in, then wipe away from the cuticle. When removers are safe, they are just like nail polish smelly. So you should crack open a window or put on the fan during your next manicure process.


Submit reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Sign in to or create an account

Lost password?


If you already have an account, please sign in

Forgot Password

Please enter your username or e-mail address to recover your password.

Hey there!

In order to submit a post to you must be logged in.

Already have an account? Click here to sign in