Nowadays, vulnerability protection scanner tools are readily available for those who wish to opt for it. Online digital content is rendered through web pages or web applications, using web servers or services. Hence, web application security is an important aspect of vulnerability scanning. In fact, it is something that no web application developer can ignore.
How it works
Typically, a vulnerability scanner checks the systems for flaws with the help of an built-in database that covers every aspect to be checked. If any issue is found, the vulnerability scanner then tries to exploit it to see what the effects are.
Web application securitytools also work on the same principles with respect to a web application, website, or web services. It has been noted that a majority of the web based hacking happens through cross-site scripting or SQL injections apart from common phishing issues.
Web application security best practices suggest following a set of laid down guidelines for web designers and developers. The first step is to create a blueprint that is aligned with the software and the organization’s goals. Clearly identify the critical and non-critical vulnerabilities that your scanner should prioritize. Many of the vulnerabilities can be prevented just by changing the privileges of the web applications and running with the least possible one.
Steps to be taken
The following steps can be taken to ensure the protection of the web application, server, or service from potential cyber-attacks.
- Architecture should ensure requisite steps during the design phase.
- Static code analysis should be inculcated on the software development process right from beginning. Tools can be used to better handle this aspect.
- Reliable vulnerability scanning tools that are up to date are to be used. They should be able to detect genuine issues to reduce false positives.
- The scanner recommended measures should be implemented and re-scanning should be done to ensure that the issues are plugged.
- Cookies should be used wisely. While they help a lot in personalization, they are actually an easy tool for hackers to gain access.
- Awareness to be created in the team about vulnerabilities and its effects and measures to be used for countering them.
The power of vulnerability scanning and web application security tools cannot be ignored in today’s times. Stay ahead of the hackers using countermeasures with the help of applicable tools.