20 Things you didn’t know about George R.R. Martin
We all love and appreciate Game Of Thrones, and it doesn’t matter if you are a fan of the books or the TV series, or both, because today we’ve decided to dug up some interesting facts about the man behind this amazing fantasy World. Here are the 20 things you didn’t know about George R.R. Martin!
With millions of readers and watchers across the World, he manage to create a reputation of a “serial killer”. Even so, it doesn’t matter that he killed almost all of your favorite characters, he makes it impossible for you to stop watching the show.
Although George R.R. Martin is a pop-culture fan himself and attends many conventions, he is quite a private person, and he divulges just as much as he think is enough.
Everyone is curious who will finally sat on the Iron Throne, but today we’ve decided to learn some things about the man behind it. Are you prepared for a journey into the life of one of the best writers of our time? These are the 20 things you didn’t know about George R.R. Martin! Be careful though, you might find some spoilers!
1. All of his books are written on a thirty-year old PC.
2. Although he is a millionaire, and he has the chance of living like a Lannister, he and his wife live a simple, normal life.
3. Sir Patrek of King’s Mountain was added to the book after he lost a bet. But, of course he was later killed by giants.
4. He attended the first Comic-Con convention, but back then in the 60’s the convention was represented only by some geeks rejected by society.
5. He is a huge Marvel Comics fan, and he owns the first appearance of the Amazing Spider-Man.
6. Martin started writing since he was a boy, but his first published work was on the back pages of The Fantastic Four.
7. Benioff and Weiss, the two writers of the show, want to end the season 7 and 8, even if the books are not yet finished. It took 15 years for Martin to write the first 5 books.
8. The Red Wedding scene was inspired from some events that happened in Great Britain’s Middle Age.
9. He was born George R. Martin, but he changed his name to homage his favorite writer J.R.R. Tolkien.
10. Another homage that he brought to Lord Of The Rings, is that he used Gandalf’s sword to built the Iron Throne.
11. The only criticism that he made for Lord Of The Rings, is that it lacks religion.
12. The porn industry is a big fan of George R.R. Martin’s work too. They made many movies based on it, movies like Game Of Bones or Sex Of Thrones.
13. Before Game Of Thrones, Martin made a living by selling short stories and entering chess tournaments. He once said: “These chess tournaments were all on the weekend so I had to work on Saturday and Sunday, but then I had five days off to write“.
14. He revealed the ending and all the major plot lines to the writers of the show, in case he will die before the ending of it.
15. At first he planned to write only three books, but he realized that the story is to complex and it was necessary to write another two.
16. His constant need to kill his characters was inspired by a comic book character called Wonder Man who got killed; he was fascinated by the emotion that he felt when he read that.
17. George R.R. Martin didn’t wrote any of the words for the Dothraki language. HBO actually hired a specialized firm to create this imaginary language.
18. He really loves wolves, in fact he donated a lot of money to wolves charities.
19. His favorite character is Tyrion Lannister, and he thinks that the sexiest character in Westeros is Loras Tyrell.
20. George R.R. Martin was convinced to adapt the books to a TV series by Benioff and Weiss, by making them answer to a very tricky question: “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”.
Thank you for having the patience to read our today’s article about 20 things you didn’t know about George R.R. Martin, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, who do you thing it will finally sat on the Iron Throne? For more opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: RICHEST GAME OF THRONES CELEBRITIES