20 Things you didn’t know about Germany
Our today’s journey begins in the land of beer, sausages and Oktoberfest. But, of course when we think of Germany, we can’t resume ourselves only to those three things, that is why we put together some interesting facts just for you. Here are the 20 things you didn’t know about Germany!
There is no doubt that Germany is an interesting country, with a great but also troubled history. It is hard to ignore the role that Germany played in the WWII, but today we decided to concentrate our attention on what makes this country so great.
It has a very rich culture, many incredible places to visit, and let’s not forget what great contribution Germany had over the years on the automobiles market. Oh, and Gummy Bears, they made that too.
Yeah, maybe the country doesn’t have the warmest people on the planet, but they sure know what they want in life and they are outstanding people. These are the 20 things you didn’t know about Germany!
1. After the Irish people, Germany is on the second place in beer consumption in the World.
2. Although it’s called Oktoberfest, the festivity starts in September.
3. The Nazi official uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss.
4. Berlin is a huge city, it is actually 9 times bigger than the capital of France, Paris, and it has more bridges than Venice.
5. In Germany it is legal to try to escape from a prison, because they think that it is a basic human instinct to live free.
6. In Germany, it is considered illegal to run out of fuel on highways.
7. Over 60% of YouTube’s most notorious videos are blocked in Germany.
8. Fanta originated in the Nazi Germany due to the difficulties of importing Coca-Cola syrup into the country.
9. Apparently in the 1960’s Germany, lighting a condom on fire was illegal. Two of the Beatles members found that out the hard way, and got deported from Germany.
10. Mesut Ozil, a German soccer player, donated €330,000 to pay surgeries for 23 children.
11. In Berlin, they started a building project where they want to put together a synagogue, a christian church and a mosque all in one.
12. In Germany, if you perform the Nazi salute, you will get with 3 years of prison.
13. Germany’s debt from the World War I was equivalent with over 95,000 tons of gold.
14. 1% of the Germany’s population is born with HIV immunity.
15. The tradition of decorating the Christmas tree came from Germany.
16. Germany contributed with some of the World’s greatest inventions, such as the automated calculator, the TV, the pocket watch, paraffin, the Walkman and the LCD screen.
17. Germany has a high life expectancy, 78 years for men and 83 for women.
18. In Berlin you can find the World’s largest zoo, and it is called Zoologischer Garten.
19. In Germany, females don’t have the same equality as men; they earn only 77% of the salaries that a man earn.
20. It is legal to drink in public but you are not allowed to smoke.
We even took the time to make an awesome video with several new facts! Enjoy!
Thank you for having the patience to read our today’s article about 20 things you did’t know about Germany, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, did you liked our story, and if so, what is your favorite fact? For more opinions about our article, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: RICHEST PEOPLE IN GERMANY 2014 | TOP 10