20 Things you didn’t know about New Zealand
Today we’ve decided to take you on an expedition to one of the most beautiful places on Earth, New Zealand, and present to you some interesting facts about it. Here are the 20 things you didn’t know about New Zealand!
Along the way we’ve covered plenty of amazing places from all around the world, but it’s something about New Zealand that we can’t get enough!
New Zealand is a small country, with a population of approximately four million people. Its size is irrelevant considering the fact that its beauty is immeasurable and the people will make you feel like home.
It is the perfect place for a vacation where you can relax and disconnect yourself from all that fancy technology, and really enjoy the views. It is absolutely mesmerizing!
Offering unforgettable experience it’s the perfect place to learn to cherish the nature and its wonderful gifts. Let’s begin our journey, and we hope that these facts will make you at least think about a possible vacation in New Zealand. These are the 20 things you didn’t know about New Zealand!
1. According to a survey made by the Corruptions Perception Index New Zealand is the least corrupt nation in the World, alongside Denmark.
2. Milford Sound, was named the World’s top travel destination.
3. New Zealand was the first country to give women the right to vote in 1893.
4. Wanderlust magazine voted NZ the world’s best country in 2007 and in 2008.
5. The Lord Of The Rings movies were filmed in NZ, and it pumped nearly $200 million into the country’s economy.
6. In NZ universities they are allowed to keep one pound of uranium and thorium for educational purposes. However, if it will explode they will be fined with $1 million.
7. In 2006 NZ was the only country where all the high positions were simultaneously held by women; the Queen, the Prime-Minister, The Governor-General, the Chief Justice and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
8. Each year a New Zealander consumes approximately 65 kg of cheese and 100 kg of butter.
9. It takes you only one day to start a business in NZ. It is the fastest country in the World in this area.
10. New Zealand has three official languages one of them being sign language.
11. Have you ever thought about selling a country on eBay? Apparently an Australian man tried to do that in 2006, and put New Zealand on eBay. He managed to reach $3000, but eBay closed the auction.
12. Have you thought that getting an American Visa is hard? Well think again! Some people have been rejected for a NZ visa because they were overweight.
13. NZ has become a plastic nation. Almost all the transaction are made via credit cards and cash is rarely seen.
14. New Zealand is one of the few countries that has two national anthems.
15. New Zealand has the highest car ownership rate in the world, with 2.5 million cars at a population of only 4 million people.
16. The plastic surgery was pioneered by a New Zealander called Harold Gillies during the WWI.
17. Alongside the United States, New Zealand is the only country in the World that allows drug companies to advertise to consumers.
18. New Zealand has the highest life expectancy in the World, 78 years for men and 82 for women.
19. New Zealand is also called the Adrenaline Nation, due the fact that they invented bungee jumping.
20. Although it is illegal, New Zealand has the highest rate of cannabis users in the World.
Thank you for having the patience to read our article about 20 things you didn’t know about New Zealand, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, did you liked our facts, and if so, which is your favorite one? For more opinions, you can leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: NEW ZEALAND THE FORGOTTEN PARADISE