20 Things you didn’t know about Greece
Welcome to our today’s luxury travel topic were we are gonna present to you one of the most beautiful country in the World! Although today Greece is confronting with an economical crisis, we’ve decided to ignore all that, and focus only on the things that makes this country so great. Here are the 20 things you didn’t know about Greece!
Over the years Greece made a reputation of being a magnificent tourist destination, offering you lots of opportunities and spectacular views.
Athens is just one example, with a vibrant history and many attractions that will take your breath away. The city of Oia is also an incredible place to visit, with pure white buildings and colorful roofs, typical of Greek architecture.
It is the perfect destination for a family vacation or for a romantic escaped, where you will going to create a lifetime memory. Be prepared to be dazzled by the beauty of this marvelous country! These are the 20 things you didn’t know about Greece!
1. Athens is one of the oldest capitals in the World, and more than 40% of Greece’s population lives there.
2. There are over 120 million olive trees in Greece; some of them are from the 13th century and still producing olives.
3. Greece is considered to be one of the sunniest countries in the World, with over 250 sunny days each year.
4. A Greek movie featured the first nude scene in the cinema history .
5. Greece is considered to be the most sexually active country in the World. According to a Durex survey, Greeks have sex approximately 164 times per year.
6. Nearly 17 million tourists visit Greece every year, that’s 50% more than the entire population in the country.
7. In Greece if you are 18 or older, you are obligated by law to vote.
8. There are thousands of English words that came from Greek language, words like apology, siren, marathon, academy, alphabet and many others, Greek being also the oldest Written Language Still in Existence.
9. Greece has over 2,000 islands and only 170 of them are populated.
10. Greece is the country with the most archaeological museums.
11. There are only a few retirement homes in Greece. Old people live with their children until they die.
12. In ancient Greece, almost 80% of the population was made up by slaves.
13. Greek has been spoken for over 3,000 years, making it one of the oldest languages in the World.
14. If a Greek spits on you, don’t get mad, it’s a good thing. It’s supposed to chase the misfortune away.
15. Even with the economic crisis, Greece remains the country with the lowest suicide rate in the European Union.
16. The highest point in Greece, Mount Olympus, was considered to be home of the Gods.
17. In Greece it considered an insult to wave somebody with the fingers extended. Try remembering that next time you visit Greece.
18. Greece has one of the highest abortion rates and the lowest divorce rates in the European Union.
19. The Drachma is 2,560 years old, and it is the oldest currency in Europe, and it is very likely that if Greece is pushed out of the Euro-zone that the country will revert to it.
20. Over 7% of the World’s marble comes from Greece.
This concludes our today’s article about 20 things you didn’t know about Greece, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, which is the first place you wanna visit when you’ll go to Greece? For more opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: RICHEST PEOPLE IN GREECE