20 Things you didn’t know about Netherlands
When you think of Netherlands the first things that pop into your head are windmills, tulips and wooden shoes. But, Netherlands is way more than that and that is why we’ve decided to put together some interesting facts about it, just for you. Here are the 20 things you didn’t know about Netherlands!
The name of the country which means “low country”, was chosen this why because of its flat surface and the fact that most of the country is 1 m above the sea level.
It is a wonderful country to visit with a great cultural identity, that it will make you fall in love with it instantly. If you have not yet decided on your next romantic vacation, let me just say that the Keukenhof Gardens is a place like you have not seen before!
Also, if you’re looking for a more open minded experience, Amsterdam is the perfect destination, where you and your friends are gonna have a great time. These are the 20 things you didn’t know about Netherlands!
1. Every year, the Dutch people consume around 12 million kilograms of herring. They cook it with chopped onion and pickles and it is considered to be their national food.
2. The Dutch people are considered to be the tallest in the World, with an average height of 184 cm for men and 170 cm for women.
3. Because of the nature of the soil, the entire Amsterdam in built on wooden poles.
4. In 2001 Netherlands became the first country that legalized the same sex marriage.
5. Netherlands is also known as “The Lands Of Bicycles”, due the fact that almost everyone here owns 2 or 3 bikes.
6. Probably the biggest contribution, in my opinion, is the fact that 70% of the World’s bacon comes from Netherlands. Who doesn’t love bacon?
7. The Netherlands has a big lack of grave spaces, and that is why you can’t buy one, you only can lease them for 5, 10 or 20 years.
8. The highest point is in Vaalserberg, and it has only 323 m, the rest of the country is flat as a pancake.
9. At an international level, most of the women gave birth in a hospital, but not in Netherlands; 30% of the women give birth at their own home.
10. Every year Netherlands export almost 1.3 billion liters of beer around the World, making it the largest exporter of beer in the World.
11. The Dutch people consume around 150 liters of coffee per year, making them the biggest coffee drinkers in the World.
11. If you are a Victoria’s Secret fan, you will be interested to know that Doutzen Kroes is actually Dutch, and she is one of the most well paid supermodel in the World.
12. They are the World’s largest cheese exporters, and their entire diary industry is worth around €7 billion.
13. In Netherlands, 4 out of 10 people are working part-time.
14. Despite the fact that most of the soft drugs are legal in Netherlands, there is a low chance that you will see a Dutch person getting high.
15. Because most of the country is under the sea level, they are experts on keeping the water away. So, in 2005 during the hurricane Katrina, the U.S. government turned to the Dutch for their expert opinion.
16. Amsterdam has 1,281 bridges, and if you decide to cross over one bridge per day, it would take you 3.5 years to cross all of them.
17. The Netherlands has the Wold’s oldest national anthem; it dates from the 16th century.
18. Tulips are not actually native from Netherlands, they were imported from Turkey in the 16th century.
19. Almost 40% of the Netherlands population are atheist, 30% catholic and 20% protestant.
20. Although the cannabis has been decriminalized, there are strict regulations. For example, as of 2012 it is illegal to sell it to foreigners, and it is also illegal to have more than 5 grams on you.
Thank you for reading our today’s article about 20 things you didn’t know about Netherlands, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, do you liked our article, and if so, what is your favorite fact? For more opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: RICHEST PEOPLE IN NETHERLANDS