25 Things you didn’t know about YouTube
Over the years YouTube has become one of the most entertaining sites on the web, where you can get lost in tons and tons of fun or educating videos. Here are the 25 things you didn’t know about YouTube!
There is nothing that you can’t find on YouTube, from funny videos to “how to” videos that teach you almost anything. The site is now touching a vast variety of people.
If you’re searching for some music, or some cats that are napping, let us tell you that YouTube has become the perfect place for video entertaining.
But, not many people know that at first, the site was designed for dating purposes. This is just one interesting fact among many of them that we are gonna present to you today. These are the 25 things you didn’t know about YouTube!
1. This popular site was founded by Steven Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim, and the first video that was uploaded on YouTube was with one of the founders, Steven Chen at the San Diego Zoo, and it is called “Me at the zoo”.
2. The founders knew each other from working together at PayPal. In fact, the person who designed their logo was Chad Hurley.
3. In 2006 YouTube was purchased by Google for $1.65 billion in stocks, only 18 months after it was created.
4. As a search engine, YouTube is on the second place after Google, and it is bigger than Yahoo!, Bing and Ask combined.
5. Cyrus Yazdini was arrested by the L.A. police in 2008 after he posted on YouTube some videos with him vandalising some places. So, next time be careful what you are posting on YouTube, you never know who is watching!
6. The first video on YouTube that hit 1 million views, was a Nike ad with Ronaldinho, called “Touch of gold”.
7. As of 2010, if you suddenly decide that you wanna watch every video on YouTube, it would take you 1,700 years to do that.
8. In 2013, a decade of content was uploaded on YouTube, every day.
9. 2009 was a great year for the video quality on YouTube, because that was the year when the full HD option was released.
10. Every month 800 million unique visitors are accessing the YouTube page, which is more than the population of Europe.
11. The first version of YouTube was called Tune In Hook Up, and it was a date site. They later decided that they didn’t want to focus on a single type of videos, but rather the site should feature different types of them.
12. In some countries such as China, Brasil, Turkey or Bangladesh, YouTube is blocked.
13. The longest video on YouTube is a slideshow made by Jonathan Harchick, and it has 571 hours, 1 minute and 41 seconds.
14. The first video on YouTube that hit 1 billion views was “Gangman Style” overtaking Justin Bieber’s video “Baby”.
15. Time Magazine once said: “YouTube make you weep for the future of humanity just for the spelling alone, never mind the obscenity and the naked hatred“.
16. You can watch full-length movies on YouTube. There are 7,000 of them.
17. The most disliked video on YouTube was Rebecca Black’s “Friday” song, which was disliked by 3.1 million people before it was removed.
18. An average YouTube user, is accessing the site 14 times in a month.
19. The U.S. contribute with 70% of the YouTube traffic.
20. They have more than 10,000 partners for advertising, including Chanel 4, Turner and Disney.
21. The number of advertising ads on YouTube, increased with 1,000% in the last year.
22. There is no other video site that has as much HD videos content as YouTube.
23. Some of the most subscribed channels on YouTube are Machinima, CollegeHumor, PewDiePie, Fred and Smosh.
24. “Charlie bit my finger” is the most watched non-musical video on YouTube.
25. YouTube has some fun Easter Eggs for you. If you pause a video, and then click the left and up arrow, voila, you can now play Snake!
Thank you for reading our today’s article about 25 things you didn’t know about YouTube, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, do you remember what was the first video that you have watched on YouTube? For any other opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: POPULAR YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF ALL TIME | TOP 10