25 Things you didn’t know about Kanye West
Some people say that in life you need to work so hard, that you no longer need to introduce yourself. Well, Kanye West is the perfect example of that saying. Here are the 25 things you didn’t know about Kanye West!
He has a broad musical palette, he is a multiple Grammy award winner, and adding to his notoriety are his outrageous statements.
There is no doubt that he is one of the most controversial artists of our times, but you can not deny his value as an artist, and his influence over millions of his fans.
Kanye West is a symbol of our today’s pop-culture, his image and his music is now omnipresent, but I bet that there are some things about him that slipped away from you. These are the 25 things you didn’t know about Kanye West!
1. His name is the perfect description of his self-centered character. In Swahilli, Kanye means “the only one”.
2. When Kanye West was 10 years old, he lived with his mother in China for an year.
3. His 2004 album “The College Dropout” was named like that, because he actually dropped out Chicago State University, to become a musician.
4. In his early time of his career, he kept his business in the family. Kanye’s mother retired from teaching English, and became his manager.
5. He made his first money from music by selling his first beat with $8.800, to a local Chicago rapper.
6. In 2002 Kanye experienced a nearly fatal accident which inspired him to write “Through The Wire”
7. Well known as a perfectionist, Kanye mixed his hit single “Stronger” 50 times, before he was pleased with the result.
8. Roc-A-Rolla Records was not that happy to sign Kanye at first, as they were unsure of his talent and reputation.
9. He is one of the most successful artists in the history of Grammy awards. He has 57 nominations and 21 wins.
10. He admitted that the idea of becoming a male porn-star crossed his mind several times in the past.
11. He has many nicknames including: Yeezy, Ye, Konman, and The Louis Vuitton Don.
12. In 2007 at a ceremony in the Covent Garden’s Opera House, Kanye West was declared “Man Of The Year”.
13. In that same year his mother died due to complications that appeared after she had plastic surgery.
14. Kanye West lives his life like everyday is the last one, and his favorite motto is “nothing is promised in life except for death”.
15. After the Taylor Swift VMAs incident, he distanced himself from music, and leaved the country for a while.
16. Before Kim Kardashian, Kanye West was engaged to designer Alexis Phifer.
17. After an episode of South Park that described Kanye West as an egocentric person, he declared that they have hurt his feelings.
18. In 2008 he tried opening a fast-food chain in Chicago, but he got into some financial problems, and closed them in 2011.
19. He has more than 12 million records sold only in U.S.A, making him one of the best sold solo artists of our time.
20. Throughout his albums, he collaborated with 45 different artists, which is a lot considering the fact that there are only 80 tracks on them.
21. In 2005 after the hurricane Katrina, Kanye West declared that George Bush don’t care about black people at all.
22. 50 Cent promised that he will retire from the music industry, if Kanye West would out sell him. Unfortunately for him, Kanye did it by selling 1.1 million records.
23. He and his mother founded the “Kanye West Foundation” in order to decrease the dropout rate in Chicago.
24. Kanye West once said: “I am God’s vessel. But, my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live”.
25. Kanye named his first child North, and yes that means the child’s full name is North West.
This ends our today’s article about 25 things you didn’t know about Kanye West, and we hope you enjoyed it!
We’ve done a lot of research and made a video with several extra facts about Kanye West that you wouldn’t find anywhere else on the web:
So, who do you think is a better artist, Kanye or 50 Cent? For any other opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
If you liked our article, check out: THE ADIDAS X KANYE WEST SHOW WAS THE REAL DEAL OF NEW YORK FASHION WEEK