25 Things you didn’t know about gold
Our today’s luxury topic covers some interesting facts about an element that is found in the periodic table, that made people go crazy for it. Here are the 25 things you didn’t know about gold!
Gold has been used to make jewelries since 4000 B.C. and more recently it was discovered that it is a great element for treating cancer. It also has been the bone of contention since the moment people realized its value, and many wars started because of it.
Today, gold represents a high-end status, a symbol of wealth and prosperity and of course, a way to show other people that there is nothing that they can’t afford.
Although you’ve probably seen it many times, we bet that there are some things you didn’t know about it. So, we’ve decided to go on a seeking adventure, to learn and understand more about it. These are the 25 things you didn’t know about gold!
1. Gold originated from space, after a meteor bombardment that happened nearly 200 million years ago, that brought gold and other precious metals on Earth.
2. The World’s biggest gold bar weighs 250 kilograms.
3. Scientists believe that over 80% of the Earth’s gold is still underground.
4. In Abu Dhabi, in a luxury hotel, you can find a gold vending machine, that is also covered in 24 carat gold.
5. Although gold is a dense metal, it is totally non-toxic and it can be used for foods and drinks.
6. The World’s biggest gold nugget weighs approximately 90 kilograms.
7. Fort Knox is one of the most secured places on Earth, and today it holds nearly 147 million ounces of gold.
8. Beside its symbolic value, gold has many other applications, it is used for medicine, electronics, radiation shielding and many others.
9. Our blood contains 0.2 milligrams of gold.
10. An Olympic gold medal contains only 1.34% real gold.
11. Just by wearing a gold wedding ring, you lose 6 milligrams of gold every year.
12. 11% of the World’s gold is held by Indian housewives. That is actually more than the reserves of Germany, Switzerland and the U.S. put together.
13. The 1933 Double Eagle, is considered to be the most expensive gold coin. It was sold for $7.5 million.
14. The astronauts visor helmets are coated with a thin layer of gold, to prevent radiation and to reduce the heat from the sun.
15. In 1935 Franklin Roosevelt raised the price of gold from $20 to $35, and as a result the dollar lost 40% of its value.
16. South Africa was the largest gold producer in the World, but in 2008 China managed to overtook it.
17. Compared with diamonds, gold is very rare.
18. Gold can be found on any continent of the Earth.
19. Earthquakes can turn water into gold by vaporizing the water and leaving gold behind.
20. The entire gold that has been mined, can be hold into 3 Olympic swimming pools.
21. Dubai started a program for the obese children to help them lose weight by giving them 2 grams of gold for every kilogram of weight they would lose.
22. The fear of gold is called Aurophobia.
23. Mr T’s gold collection was estimated at $120,000.
24. In medieval times, people used to drink molted gold and crashed emeralds to treat bubonic plague.
25. In 1599 a Spanish Governor in Ecuador was killed by pouring molted gold down his throat, just like in Game Of Thrones.
Thank you for having the patience to read our today’s article about 25 things you didn’t know about gold, and we hope you enjoyed it!
So, which fact do you find the most interesting? For more opinions, leave them in the comment section below!
Read more about: WORLD’S MOST EXPENSIVE THINGS MADE OF GOLD | TOP 10